It’s Friday and it’s Week 3 of our St. Hope Biggest Loser Challenge. This week we would like you to start off the morning right with a good Breakfast.
Registered Licensed Dietitian Melissa Hawthorne, MS, RD, LD, CDE is back again to share why Breakfast is an important of the day.
Break the Fast – Eat Breakfast!
Did you know you can increase your metabolism just by the foods that you eat? It’s true! Extensive research shows that the type and timing of your meals and snacks can drastically increase the amount of calories you burn in a day. Below are some solutions to some common excuses as to why some people do not eat breakfast.
Eat Breakfast – Metabolism Booster
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The morning meal “jump starts” your metabolism. Most people who diet feel that they should not eat breakfast in order to save calories. The result is that they usually become starving by lunch and tend to overeat by the end of the day. Breakfast eaters can burn more than 300 calories more a day than non-breakfast eaters.
Solutions to common excuses
“I get hungry when I eat breakfast” – The reason is because most people do not eat enough for breakfast. Make sure your breakfast is at least 300 calories and contains whole grains, fiber rich foods, fruit, and some protein.
“I don’t have time for breakfast” – Here are some quick and easy ideas for breakfast on the go:
- Yogurt + cereal (contains at least 5 grams of fiber)
- English muffin topped with low fat cheese + apple
- Smoothie made with skim milk, banana, berries
- Banana topped with peanut butter
- Homemade Breakfast Taco – Cook scrambled eggs the night before and refrigerate. The next morning, stuff a whole wheat tortilla with eggs, cheese, vegetables and Canadian bacon.
- Grab a fruit on the way out the door.