In the spirit of raising awareness about Diabetes, we are proud to present our fourth parody health video from the internationally acclaimed singer, Jason Derulo’s song “Trumpets.” SHF is an innovative community health center offering comprehensive medical, dental, pharmacy, clinical research and behavioral health in the Houston area.
What Is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a group of diseases marked by high levels of blood glucose resulting from problems in how
insulin is produced, how insulin works, or both. People with diabetes may develop serious complications such as heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, blindness, and premature death.
Fast Facts On Diabetes
- 29.1 million people or 9.3% of the U.S. population have diabetes.
- Diagnosed: 21.0 million people
- Undiagnosed: 8.1 million people -27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed
- In 2009−2012, based on fasting glucose or A1C levels, 37% of U.S. adults aged 20 years or older had prediabetes -51% of those aged 65 years or older. Applying this percentage to the entire U.S. population
- In 2012 yields an estimated 86 million Americans aged 20 years or older with prediabetes.
- On the basis of fasting glucose or A1C levels, and after adjusting for population age differences, the percentage of U.S. adults aged 20 years or older with prediabetes in 2009−2012
source: CDC 2014