March is National Nutrition Month. The theme this year is “Eat Right Bite by Bite”. I consistently tell my patients that living a healthy lifestyle is a journey and not something that can be accomplished in one day or even a week. I encourage my patients to make small steps to improve their nutrition every day and these small steps/changes will eventually lead to great health rewards! Here are some small changes that you can make every day:
- Plan out your meals and snacks for the week.
- Find a way to have nutritious food in your home ever week: go grocery shopping, curbside pick-up, grocery delivery, etc.
- Fill half of your plate with vegetables.
- Track water consumption and aim for drinking half of your body weight in ounces of water. Slowly increase your water consumption daily to reach your goal.
- Bring your lunch to work.
- Going on a business trip? Bring healthy snacks and your workout clothes to stay on track
Written by: Melissa Hawthorne, MS, RD, LD, CDE